The New 16th State Senate District
Senator Wiley Nickel represents Western Wake County in the North Carolina General Assembly. The 16th District was reconfigured in 2017, in accordance with a federal court ruling that found 28 North Carolina state legislative districts to be racially unconstitutional gerrymanders.
The 16th District includes Cary, Morrisville and Northwest Raleigh. As currently constituted, the 16th District would have voted for former Democratic U.S. Senator Kay Hagan with approximately 55% of the vote in the 2014 midterm election. In 2018 Wiley Nickel won the district with 65% of the vote.
Brier Creek or Breckridge Precinct voter?
There were major problems and huge lines in YOUR precincts. It was one of the two worst precincts in Wake County for waiting times in November 2018. We’d like to hear about your experience so we can advocate for major changes with the Board of Elections. Please click on your precinct location below to fill out our petition demanding changes for the next election.
Wake County State Senate Districts
The state legislative district maps include five state Senate districts in Wake County:
- State Senate District 14 covers much of Central and Eastern Wake County; Incumbent state Senate Democratic Leader Dan Blue won this seat in November 2018
- State Senate District 15 covers much of Central Wake County; Incumbent Democratic state Senator Jay Chaudhuri won this seat in November 2018
- State Senate District 16 covers much of Western Wake County; Senator Wiley Nickel won this open seat in November 2018
- State Senate District 17 covers much of Southern Wake County; Sam Searcy defeated Republican state Senator Tamara Barringer to take this seat in November 2018
- State Senate District 18 covers much of Northeastern Wake County; Republican incumbent state Senator John Alexander was narrowly re-elected to this seat in November 2018