The New 16th State Senate District
Wiley Nickel is the Democratic nominee for North Carolina state Senate in the new 16th District. The 16th District was reconfigured this past fall, in accordance with a federal court ruling that found 28 North Carolina state legislative districts to be racially unconstitutional gerrymanders. The newly redrawn 16th District of the North Carolina state Senate is an open seat, without an incumbent state Senator.
The 16th District encompasses Morrisville, much of Cary, and portions of Northwest Raleigh. Democratic state Senator Jay Chaudhuri previously represented much of the geographic area that now comprises the new 16th District but Senator Chaudhuri was recently redistricted into the 15th state Senate District in Central Wake County. Senator Chaudhuri is now running for re-election in the new 15th state Senate District. Wiley Nickel is not running against Senator Jay Chaudhuri.
As currently constituted, the 16th District would have voted for former Democratic U.S. Senator Kay Hagan with approximately 55% of the vote in the 2014 midterm election. The 16th District presents a great opportunity for Democrats to pick up a seat in the state Senate and move that much closer to securing the six additional seats needed to break the Republican supermajority.
Wake County State Senate Districts
The new state legislative district maps include five state Senate districts in Wake County:
- State Senate District 14 covers much of Central and Eastern Wake County; Incumbent state Senate Democratic Leader Dan Blue is running for re-election in November 2018
- State Senate District 15 covers much of Central Wake County; Incumbent Democratic state Senator Jay Chaudhuri is running for re-election in November 2018
- State Senate District 16 covers much of Western Wake County; Democratic nominee Wiley Nickel is contesting the open seat in November 2018
- State Senate District 17 covers much of Southern Wake County; Democratic nominee Sam Searcy is challenging a Republican incumbent state Senator in November 2018
- State Senate District 18 covers much of Northeastern Wake County; Democratic nominee Mack Paul is challenging a Republican incumbent state Senator in November 2018