FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 2nd, 2019
For More Information Contact:
CONTACT: Michael McShane, email@example.com, 919-230-4791
Senator Wiley Nickel Files for Re-Election
Pledges to Lead Fight to Take the Majority in 2020, Ensure Fair Maps for the next decade
RALEIGH, NC – First-term Senator and Former Obama White House Staffer Wiley Nickel filed today at the NC Board of Elections to run for re-election in the 16th Senate District (Cary, Morrisville & NW Raleigh). Wiley filed alongside the other members of the Wake County delegation: Senate Minority Leader Dan Blue, Senate Minority Whip Jay Chaudhuri, and Senator Sam Searcy, saying:
“I’m running for re-election because our work is not finished. The only way we’re going to expand Medicaid, support major investments in public education and fight the climate crisis is by keeping the six seats we picked up in 2018 AND flipping four more seats to Take the Majority in 2020.
From 2017 to 2018 Republicans overrode Governor Cooper’s veto 23 times. In 2018 we broke the majority and have been able to stop bad bills from becoming law. Governor Cooper has not had a single veto overridden by the Republicans in 2019 because Democrats are 21 strong in the Senate.
There’s a lot on the line in 2020. We have a once in a decade opportunity to end the gerrymandering stain that has plagued our state for far too long. Fair Maps would likely flip 4-5 seats in Congress from Red to Blue for a decade. I’m not going to stop until we have an independent redistricting commission that takes politicians out of the process.”
During his first term Nickel was one of the most progressive members of the Senate. He is proud of his “F” rating from the NRA and sponsored legislation to:
- Get North Carolina to 100% renewable energy by 2050. SB 513
- Join the National Popular Vote interstate compact. SB 104
- Provide much needed funding and resources for public education SB 28, SB 329, SB381
- Expand Medicaid SB 3
- Provide in state tuition to DACA recipients at State Schools. SB 615
Wiley earned broad support in Wake County and was one of the top fundraisers in the Senate.
- Top Five in total campaign contributions and Number One in total donors in the Senate as of the 2019 mid-year report.
- Held 2019 Campaign events headlined by supporters including Governor Roy Cooper, Secretary of State Elaine Marshall, Senate Democratic Leader Dan Blue and North Carolina First Lady Kristin Cooper.
- Leading the effort to raise the funds needed to Take the Majority in 2020 as a member of the Senate Democratic Caucus Finance Committee.
Wiley Nickel is a practicing attorney in Cary, NC, where he lives with his wife, Caroline, and their two children. Before opening his law practice, Wiley worked for the Obama White House, traveling with President Barack Obama in the United States and abroad. He was endorsed by President Obama in his first round of candidate endorsements in August of 2018. Wiley also traveled with Vice President Al Gore during the Clinton/Gore White House and is a proud member of Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project.
North Carolina’s Sixteenth Senate District was largely unchanged after the latest round of Republican gerrymandering and still includes most of the precincts in Cary, Morrisville and NW Raleigh that elected him in 2018 with over 65% of the vote.